AUSTRALIA: Lupin-based feed could minimise environmental impact of fish farming
Sea cages near to Fremantle Harbour are the focus of a new trial to establish the viability of fish food made from lupins. The rainbow trout farmed in this area are being fed on three different lupin-based mixtures. Cheaper to produce and more environmentally friendly than traditional feeds, data monitoring has shown that lupin-based food has had less impact on the environment than predicted, due to restricted levels of phosphorous and nitrogen in fish excreta, which usually contribute towards the growth of damaging algal blooms. Aquaculturalist Brett Glencross, from Fisheries WA, revealed that so far the trials have also shown that the trout displayed better growth and survival rates, but admitted that the physiological reasons for this were yet to be understood. The next stage of the experiment will involve increasing the sensitivity of testing methods on the impact of lupin feed, and measuring the nutrient levels on the seabed.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review