DENMARK: Maersk to cede control of Dansk Supermarked
Shipping-to-oil group A.P. Møller-Maersk is to sell most of its shares in Dansk Supermarked, the retailer with over 1,300 stores in Denmark, Germany, Poland and Sweden.
Maersk has agreed a deal to sell back a 49% stake in Dansk to the Salling Companies, its partner in the retail business and a group linked to the grocer's founder. The transaction will see Maersk receive DKK17bn (US$3.1bn).
The conglomerate will keep a 19% stake in Dansk on which Salling has a call option it can activate in five years.
Maersk CEO Nils Andersen is looking to focus the group on other sectors. He said "the time is right" for the sale.
"Over the last two years Dansk Supermarked has undergone a rejuvenation and has a strong future ahead of it," Andersen said.
Dansk Supermarked runs stores under four banners in Denmark - Netto, Fotex, Bilka and Salling. It also has Netto stores in Germany, Poland and Sweden.
In 2012, the last full year for which figures are available, Dansk Supermarked reported EBITDA of DKK2.51bn, down from DKK2.89bn in 2011. Sales in 2012 were DKK55.61bn, compared to DKK55.23bn a year earlier.
For the first nine months of 2013, EBITDA was DKK2bn, while sales were DKK41.76bn.
Retail closing hour regulations, which required outlets with large turnovers to close by 20:00hrs Monday to Saturday and all of Sunday, were lifted in October 2012. This had a devastating impact on th...
Agricultural Products in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Introduction Food Retail in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The pro......
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015