UK: MAFF under investigation for animal cruelty during FMD culls
The foot and mouth crisis is no excuse for the inhumane treatment of animals, stressed the RSPCA this week as it investigated reports that ill-equipped MAFF slaughterman bungled a cull at Barras Farm near Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria. The owner of the farm, Alan Alderson argued that the cull of his herd of 25 cows, one bull, 25 calves and one pregnant cow was mismanaged. They were slaughtered as a precaution after a MAFF lorry passed through a road in their field while carrying infected carcasses from a Stricegill farm.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Interview: KP Snacks on growth strategy
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units