UK: MAFF under investigation for animal cruelty during FMD culls
The foot and mouth crisis is no excuse for the inhumane treatment of animals, stressed the RSPCA this week as it investigated reports that ill-equipped MAFF slaughterman bungled a cull at Barras Farm near Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria. The owner of the farm, Alan Alderson argued that the cull of his herd of 25 cows, one bull, 25 calves and one pregnant cow was mismanaged. They were slaughtered as a precaution after a MAFF lorry passed through a road in their field while carrying infected carcasses from a Stricegill farm.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea