RUSSIA: Magnit H1 profits up after Q2 recovery
Russian grocery retailer Magnit has seen its profits increase in the first half of 2011 after a recovery in the second quarter.
Magnit, which saw its first-quarter net income fall 7.5%, reported a 1.8% increase in half-year profits to RUB4.02bn. EBITDA increased by 35.7% to RUB10.2bn.
Sergey Galitskiy, Magnit’s CEO, said: "In the second quarter, the company was focused on efficiency. Negative trends that were outlined at the beginning of the year and led to the decrease of profitability in the first quarter of 2011 were overcome, which is reflected in the growth of EBITDA margin in the second quarter."
He added: "In the second half year the company will continue to develop in two key directions – increasing of market share and improving of operating efficiency."
The retailer reported in July that its revenue for the six months to the end of June was up by 51% to RUB156.5bn. The top-line growth was due to the number of stores increasing to 405, taking their total up to 4,460, as well as an 18.6% increase in like-for-like sales.
Despite the results, shares in Magnit dropped 2.8% as of 2pm (BST)
An analyst for Credit Suisse said Magnit's EBITDA came in line with consensus but added that, if a one-off payment is deducted from the results, the result missed forecasts.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights