BELGIUM: Makro restructure sees 370 lose jobs
Makro Belgium's restructure sees 370 staff lose their jobs
Makro Cash & Carry Belgium has announced a restructuring plan which sees it make 370 staff redundant.
According to a statement issued by the company, the change in "buying behaviour of consumers" in recent years thanks to "the emergence of online commerce," and the recent economic crisis having "an impact on the numbers of Makro Cash & Carry Belgium", has forced the company to reassess its structure.
The announcement means a loss of about a tenth of the Makro Cash & Carry Belgium's workforce.
The company has stated it is "obliged" to respond to the changing market conditions by reorganising the company.
"This plan should enable Makro to simplify its procedures and to be more customer-oriented, which will help it to fight better in a competitive market," said the statement.
Areas which will be affected include payroll admin, call centre and accounting.
The statement added that the changes would result in "better logistical flow and a better quality of service."
Jean -Luc Tüzes , managing director of Makro Cash & Carry Belgium added that he hoped these changes would ensure a sustainable and customer oriented business. He added that management would "engage in a constructive dialogue with the social partners" to ensure compulsory redundancies are kept to a minimum.
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide