UK: Manufacturers Get Their Teeth into Functional Chewing Gum
Gone are the days when chewing gum was just about giving your teeth something to do. Nowadays consumers are looking for the same things from their gum as they do from other foods: health, beauty, added value - in short, functionality. Manufacturers, meanwhile, have succeeded in blurring the boundaries between chewing gum and more traditional oral care products like toothpaste, usually by means of brand extensions.Perhaps the first chewing gum brand to promise a specific function (beyond fresh breath) was Airwaves from Wrigley, formulated with menthol and eucalyptus, until then found mainly in lozenges. Despite its resounding success, Airwaves would have to wait around two years for a competitor in the shape of Stimorol's Air Rush. Since then a huge number of functional gums has come onto the market: Sportlife gum in the Netherlands with guaraná, spirulina and taurine; Joyco's Licor del Polo Vitaminas (Spain) with added vitamins and calcium; Stimorol's Pro*Z, said to defeat even garlic odours in the breath; and Stimorol Energy, formulated with guaraná and dextrose, to name but a few.Toothpaste manufacturers like SmithKline Beecham and Arm & Hammer (Church & Dwight) have spotted the potential of gums bearing the names of trusted toothpastes such as Signal, Mentadent and Aquafresh. The resulting gums, presented in practical flip-top boxes, offer the consumer the convenience and reassurance of 'brush-style' dental hygiene away from home, while the companies benefit from incremental sales of their brands.Consumers seeking the appearance of well-kept teeth are also well served: Ice White from Wrigley and Trident Advantage from Adams both promise whiter teeth, while the latter even claims to replenish lost minerals such as calcium.For these and other functional chewing gums, see the Datamonitor's new product tracking database, Worldwide Innovations Network at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report