CANADA: Maple Leaf "approaches Bimbo, PE firms for Canada Bread interest"
Maple Leaf is said to have appointed Royal Bank of Canada and Centerview Partners to handle the auction
The Canadian food group is said to have appointed Royal Bank of Canada and Centerview Partners to handle the auction of its 90% ownership interest in Canada Bread Co, according to Reuters. The two banks have reportedly made initial contact with prospective buyers before sending out detailed financial information, sources told the publication.
Bimbo and private-equity firms KKR & Co and Apollo Global Management are said to have been approached over the sale, although no official offer is understood to have yet been made by any.
On Monday, the company said it was "exploring strategic alternatives" for its bakery business, including a potential sale of its 90% ownership interest in Canada Bread.
In the event of a sale, the company said it would consider using the cash to pay down debt, reinvest in the business and return capital to shareholders.
KKR declined to comment on the reports. Maple Leaf, Canada Bread, and Apollo did not return a request for comment at the time of going to press.
With a significant reliance on both the mature US bread market and on its domestic Mexican bakery market, Mexico-based Grupo Bimbo SAB de CV could struggle to find areas in which to grow. However, the...
As the leading player in bakery in Mexico, Grupo Bimbo has very strong brand equity; it owns more than 100 brands, many of which have been well positioned for many years. The company’s growth strategy...
Maple Leaf is following a strategy to increase scale, productivity and profitability in its protein operations and has been exploring alternative strategies for its bakery group, including the sale of...
"The Future of the Confectionery Market in Mexico to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company res...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report