UK: Maple Leaf to close Walsall site
236 workers could see their jobs saved as potential buyers have expressed interest in the plant
Maple Leaf Bakery, the UK arm of Maple Leaf Foods, is set to close one of its production sites.
The company has decided to close its facility in Walsall, although it said the 236 workers could see their jobs saved as potential buyers have expressed interest in the plant.
Maple Leaf Bakery's HR director Paul Clipson said the company is looking for a buyer for the site so that it can focus on its speciality, bagel and croissant manufacturing.
He said: "We are working closely with our trade union at the site so workers are full informed. We are doing our very best to save the jobs of our employees."
The company did not reveal who the potential buyers could be or any financial details at this early stage in the process but reiterated that it is keeping staff fully informed.
Maple Leaf Foods has booked a drop in first-quarter profits, hit by restructuring costs and the implementation of the Canadian food group's plans to improve its margins....
Canada's food watchdog has said cost-saving measures that have included the sacking of 100 government inspectors will have no impact on food safety in the country....
Canadian company Sofina Foods is set to buy local firm Fearmans Pork from private-equity firm Sun Capital Partners....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report