UK: Mariani Foods expands in Europe with Bare Earth buy
Australia-based beef jerky producer Mariani Foods has boosted its presence in Europe through the acquisition of UK firm Bare Earth.
The acquisition includes all the assets of Bare Earth and "10 of the 12" staff, a spokesperson for Mariani told just-food. It will see the formation of New World Foods Europe, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mariani Foods Australia that will be managed independently to "better serve the UK and European markets."
The spokesperson added the acquisition "brings us in line with locally-sourced meat producers and will open doors with retailers who prefer British sourced/made produce".
The acquisition, which rescued Bare Earth from administration, includes a Yorkshire factory that will allow New World Foods the possibility of manufacturing UK-produced beef jerky and biltong.
Bare Earth began in Ripon in 2003 manufacturing a variety of meat snacks, including beef jerky, before moving to its current premises in York last year.
Over the past decade the brand has grown into a GBP1.1m (US$1.8m) business, but ran into trouble this year when it lost two of its major retailers, resulting in a 50% drop in sales, after also investing in new premises.
Gareth Rusling and Chris White of The P&A Partnership were appointed joint administrators of the firm on 18 February.
Rusling said: "This deal will enable the brand to grow again and, most importantly, everyone in the business has been able to keep their job."
Don Nisbet, group managing director of Mariani Foods, said: "This is an exciting time for New World Foods, we have successfully acquired the assets from Bare Earth that will allow us to offer British-made biltong and jerky, something that means a lot to the consumers we've spoken to over the years."
London, UK – 28th February 2014: - Mariani Foods Pty Ltd. the leading producer of premium beef jerky, have acquired the assets of Bare Earth Ltd, UK-based specialty meat producers. The company has also announced that the combined companies will be renamed New World Foods (Europe) Ltd. with immediate effect.
New World Foods (Europe) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mariani Foods Pty Ltd. Australia and will be managed completely independently to better serve the UK and European markets. These changes are part of the companies’ 2014 market growth strategy. The acquisition includes a Yorkshire based factory, which will allow New World Foods the scope of manufacturing UK produced Beef Jerky and Biltong.
Don Nisbet, Group Managing Director of Mariani Foods said: “ This is an exciting time for New World Foods, we have successfully acquired the assets from Bare Earth that will allow us to offer British made biltong and jerky, something that means a lot to the consumers we’ve spoken to over the years.
New World Foods (Europe) Ltd. (previously known as Mariani Foods Europe Ltd.) has been producing premium jerky for almost 40 years and supplying into the Australian, Asian and European markets. This latest acquisition will add an additional 10 years of Biltong manufacturing experience to the new company.
Original source: Mariani Foods
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019