UK/IRELAND: Mars makes foray into Fairtrade with Maltesers
Mars Inc is to sell its first Fairtrade product after deciding to move its Maltesers brand to the ethical certification.
The US confectionery giant said today (27 September) that it would sell Fairtrade Maltesers in the UK and Ireland next year.
Mars said the use of Fairtrade for Maltesers would provide farmers in west Africa with over US$1m a year in "Fairtrade Premium" funds.
"This agreement is a big step towards fulfilling our shared mission to empower farmers to build vibrant, sustainable livelihoods, and we're very excited to work with Fairtrade on ways to enable commodity certification to scale across the entire industry," Barry Parkin, Mars' global chocolate vice president, said.
The decision will increase the amount of "certified" cocoa sourced by Mars for its chocolate products.
In 2009, the company said it would use only "certified, sustainably sourced cocoa" by 2020. Alongside that announcement, Mars said the Rainforest Alliance would certify 100,00 metric tonnes of cocoa a year. A year later, the company placed the Rainforest Alliance logo on its Galaxy bars on sale in the UK and Ireland.
2009 also saw Mars announce a commitment to buy 100,000 tonnes of cocoa certified by non-profit organisation UTZ by 2020.
Former Cadbury and Kraft Foods executive Daniel Saw is to take charge of Campbell Soup Co.'s operations in Asia....
Mars Inc is to launch Galaxy Flutes in the UK, a product it hopes will meet demand for lighter on-the-go snacks....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review