UK: Mars to slash saturated fat content
Mars Inc is to cut the levels of saturated fat in a number of its chocolate bars in the UK by "at least" 15%.
The confectionery giant said today (18 January) that Mars, Snickers, Milky Way, Topic and Flyte bars will all benefit from a programme that had cost EUR10m (US$14.4m).
Mars added the change will take place "without any change in the taste or quality" of the products.
Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars Chocolate UK, said: "Our goal is to make our products better for you without compromising on taste. We are proud to have achieved this as a result of many years of research and investment."
Mars said the "breakthrough" comes after five years of development and more than 40,000 hours of research and development.
Professor Judy Buttriss, director general of the British Nutrition Foundation, said: "Saturated fat is a health issue that needs addressing by consumers and food manufacturers alike. In order to reduce total intakes across the population to below 10% of total energy intake, the formulation of all sources of saturated fat - even popular treats - needs to be tackled. Any initiative to reduce the amount of saturated fat in the UK diet is a step in the right direction."
All five of the products will contain less saturated fat per bar compared with their current recipes from the summer, Mars said.
Raised eyebrows met Carrefour's insistence that it will keep its stores in Malaysia and Singapore despite reports the retailer was looking to leave the markets and a third country in Asia, Thailand. O...
The Muller brand was the UK's supermarkets' most promoted brand for a second month running, according to just-food's Promo Tracker....
UK organic baby food business Plum Baby has become the latest company to be acquired by a private-equity firm after it agreed a GBP10m (US$14.6m) takeover....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019