EUROPE: Martek secures DHA patent win in Europe
US-based Martek Biosciences Corp., a producer of DHA omega-3 products, has secured a trademark victory in Europe.
The company said the European Patent Office (EPO) had upheld one of Martek's European DHA patents.
The patent, which expires in 2010, relates to fermentation processes, human and animal food products, pharmaceutical uses of certain claimed microorganisms, and Martek's food DHA production strain.
Two companies, Aventis Research and Technologies and Nagase, had challenged Martek's patent and the US company said it was "probable" that one of the two firms would appeal.
An appeal would take place in 2009.
- How Hormel Foods can benefit from Justin's
- Colian hungry for international growth - interview
- How discounters unsettling Australia's food sector
- The balancing act at Amy's Kitchen - interview
- Tackling infant formula fraud in China
- US food labels to include "added sugars" info
- General Mills invests in another US SME
- ConAgra focusing on core with Spicetec sale
- Kraft Heinz to expand US plant
- ABP Food Group names COO Frank Stephenson new CEO