S AFRICA: Massmart in advanced talks to enter Kenya
Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake in Massmart, which is South Africa's third-largest general retailer
South African retailer Massmart Holdings has confirmed it is in talks to open its first store in Kenya.
Brian Leroni, a Massmart executive for corporate affairs, told just-food today (11 July) the retailer is in "an advanced stage of negotiations" with a shopping centre developer Actis to open a Game store in Nairobi, Kenya.
Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake in Massmart, which is South Africa's third-largest general retailer. It has around 36 stores outside of South Africa, many of those its Game discount retail stores. The stores sell general merchandise, FMCG products and non-perishable groceries.
The spokesperson did not give a timeline for the store opening in Kenya and said no further details could be provided until discussions with the developer had been concluded. However, he added: "Kenya is an attractive market, an important consideration has been to identify suitable store sites."
Massmart has so far been slow in its African expansion, a year after Wal-Mart took a 51% stake in the South African retailer.
Last year, the combined Wal-Mart-Massmart entity said it was planning "significant new store openings" and aims to increase its food business by over 50% in the next five years
From a sustainability standpoint, 2012 might be characterised as a year when the world went backwards - or at a pinch stayed still - but the food industry moved forward, writes Ben Cooper....
Wal-Mart Stores is reportedly in talks to buy Turkish retailer Migros Ticaret from UK private-equity firm BC Partners....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019