NIGERIA: Massmart to open seven value stores in 2014
Massmart plans to open seven Valumarts in Nigeria during 2014
South African retailer Massmart is set to open seven "low-income" stores in Nigeria during 2014, a spokesperson for the company told just-food today (17 March).
In a bid to expand its presence in food retail in the African region, the firm is launching further Valumart stores in Nigeria following the launch of a pilot store in Lagos in February.
Valumart is a small, low income grocery store. The format was "specifically developed with reference to market conditions and customer expectations in Nigeria," said a spokesperson.
Though trading area will vary, on average, each store will be around 300 square metres.
Supermarket giant Wal-Mart owns a majority share in Massmart.
Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world. The company has retail stores worldwide, with 10,773 stores recorded across 27 countries at the end of January 2013. Despite the dominant position the co...
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
It is expected that Wal-Mart Brasil will continue to focus on the expansion of its stores, especially in areas such as the northeast region where disposable incomes are growing above the average in th...
- Deal or no deal: Frozen sale makes sense for Kerry
- On the money: How Greencore is outperforming
- Comment: Mondelez digital strategy suffers blow
- JBS sees big opportunity from Primo Smallgoods
- Shopper trends: Promos can mean higher prices
- Kerry puts frozen food unit on block - reports
- Coca-Cola eyes long-term rewards with dairy push
- Post issues warning over US cereal sector sales
- UPDATE: Greencore eyes US$1bn US business
- Abraaj outbids Kellogg with fresh Bisco Misr offer