NIGERIA: Massmart to open seven value stores in 2014
Massmart plans to open seven Valumarts in Nigeria during 2014
South African retailer Massmart is set to open seven "low-income" stores in Nigeria during 2014, a spokesperson for the company told just-food today (17 March).
In a bid to expand its presence in food retail in the African region, the firm is launching further Valumart stores in Nigeria following the launch of a pilot store in Lagos in February.
Valumart is a small, low income grocery store. The format was "specifically developed with reference to market conditions and customer expectations in Nigeria," said a spokesperson.
Though trading area will vary, on average, each store will be around 300 square metres.
Supermarket giant Wal-Mart owns a majority share in Massmart.
Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world. The company has retail stores worldwide, with 10,773 stores recorded across 27 countries at the end of January 2013. Despite the dominant position the co...
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
It is expected that Wal-Mart Brasil will continue to focus on the expansion of its stores, especially in areas such as the northeast region where disposable incomes are growing above the average in th...
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- The just-food interview: Premier Foods CEO Darby
- On the money: Can Premier build H2 sales momentum?
- Comment: Danone could be mulling strategy shift
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- S&A Foods announces restructure, 55 jobs to go
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's