NIGERIA: Massmart to open seven value stores in 2014
Massmart plans to open seven Valumarts in Nigeria during 2014
South African retailer Massmart is set to open seven "low-income" stores in Nigeria during 2014, a spokesperson for the company told just-food today (17 March).
In a bid to expand its presence in food retail in the African region, the firm is launching further Valumart stores in Nigeria following the launch of a pilot store in Lagos in February.
Valumart is a small, low income grocery store. The format was "specifically developed with reference to market conditions and customer expectations in Nigeria," said a spokesperson.
Though trading area will vary, on average, each store will be around 300 square metres.
Supermarket giant Wal-Mart owns a majority share in Massmart.
Wal-Mart de México is by far the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. Its strategy of offering low prices to attract consumers has been replicated by all other chained groc...
The tough financial situation in 2012-2013 forced Wal-Mart to be more cautious about expansion. The company plans to upgrade outlets and close underperforming stores in the forecast period. For exampl...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- Kerry Group launches Pure free-from meals in UK