UK: Mastercard exec Barr to head Co-op marketing
The Co-operative Group is the UK's fifth-largest grocer
Gill Barr, a former executive at Mastercard, John Lewis and Woolworths plc, is set to join UK retailer The Co-operative Group as group marketing director.
Barr, who most recently was head of marketing for Mastercard in the UK and Ireland, will take up her new post at the end of the month. She replaces Patrick Allen, who left the business last year.
Co-op chief executive Peter Marks said Barr's "tremendous breadth of experience" would "make a significant contribution" to the retailer's development.
Barr added: "The Co-operative's recent rejuvenation has established great foundations for the future and I'm looking forward to using my retail and financial services experience to help drive the group forward.
"The Co-operative has an unrivalled reputation as an ethical business and is excellently placed to respond to consumers' desire to trade with enterprises which share their values and principles."
The creation of a Groceries Code Adjudicator has been opposed by nine of the ten UK retailers which it would be overseeing. Ben Cooper suggests their position does not sit well with much-vaunted prono...
The Co-operative Group is to launch its first specific own-label free-from range to meet "increasing demand" for gluten- and wheat-free foods. ...
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Update - Post Holdings confirms Weetabix deal
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Ice cream helps Unilever sales, food flat
- Post: Weetabix "opens up M&A opportunities"
- Nestle organic growth slows but beats expectations