USA: McDonald's CEO dies of suspected heart attack
Jim Cantalupo, the chairman and CEO of US fastfood giant McDonald's, passed away on Monday after an apparent heart attack.
Cantalupo, 60, was attending the company's Worldwide Owner/Operator Convention in Orlando, Florida when he died. A former vice chairman and president, Cantalupo retired in 2001 after 28 years with McDonald's. He came out of retirement early last year to take the post of chief executive after former CEO Jack Greenburg resigned amid falling sales at the fastfood chain.
Shifting focus to improved menu offerings and better service, Cantalupo was widely credited with turning around the chain's performance, reported Reuters. As well as cutting back on expansion, and closing under-performing restaurants, he helped develop the company's recently-announced anti-obesity plan.
Following Cantalupo's sudden death, McDonald's said Australian Charlie Bell, 43, had been elected president and CEO. Bell, who will be the company's first non-American CEO, is currently president and chief operating officer.
Andrew McKenna, 74, the board's presiding director, has been elected non-executive chairman, effective immediately.
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
Last month a customer at an outlet of US fastfood chain Wendy's claimed to have found a severed finger in her food. The news spread like wildfire, fuelled by intense media interest, and Wendy's sales ...
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
Artificial sweetener Splenda has enjoyed phenomenal success in recent years, and now has a 51% share of the US market. But now it has a fight on its hands, as sugar manufacturers file lawsuits claimin...
Fastfood company McDonald's is planning to expand its franchise network in China, according to the China Daily....
Fastfood chain McDonald's has today (Monday) announced the appointment of Peter Bush as the new managing director/CEO for McDonald's Australia....
Biotechnology company Cytos Biotechnology AG has announced the start of clinical trials of CYT009-GhrQb, a therapeutic vaccine for the treatment of obesity....
Quick is poised to become the first foreign fastfood chain operator to open for business in Algeria, French newspaper La Tribune reports....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016