USA: McDonald's launches Veggie Burger in Southern California
US fastfood giant McDonald's has launched a soy-based meatless burger in 600 outlets in Southern California.
The new McVeggie Burger is being manufactured by Yves Veggie Cuisine, a brand owned by Hain Celestial Group, and will form part of McDonald's new "Salads & More" menu. The burgers are to be manufactured at the Yves Veggie Cuisine plant in Vancouver.
The vegetarian burger has 8g of fat and 350 calories, compared with a Big Mac's 34g of fat and 350 calories. Hain Celestial said the burger is also cholesterol free and low in saturated fat.
It is not yet clear whether McDonald's plans to go national with the McVeggie Burger.
Although McDonald's and Burger King both offer vegetarian burgers in a handful of other countries, including the UK, the products have only recently been made available in the US.
McDonald's rival Burger King launched the BK Veggie Burger last year after testing the product in Canada, reported Dow Jones News Service.
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
Last month a customer at an outlet of US fastfood chain Wendy's claimed to have found a severed finger in her food. The news spread like wildfire, fuelled by intense media interest, and Wendy's sales ...
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
Fastfood chain McDonald's has today (Monday) announced the appointment of Peter Bush as the new managing director/CEO for McDonald's Australia....
Fastfood company Burger King has announced plans for a new corporate headquarters in Coral Gables, Florida....
Quick is poised to become the first foreign fastfood chain operator to open for business in Algeria, French newspaper La Tribune reports....
The mayor of US city Detroit is planning a 'fast food tax," with customers paying more for burgers, pizzas and hot dogs....
McDonald's Japan has today (Monday) reported first quarter net profit more than tripled, according to the Reuters news agency....
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report