FRANCE: McDonald's to woo European customers back with mammoth burger
McDonald's' new initiative is part of a counterintuitive strategy to rehabilitate the hamburger in France. The French Unit of McDonald's has suffered particularly from bad press around its corporate image in France and the BSE crisis in the last year, driving down sales in most of its outlets.
Last month, the fastfood chain invited customers to open days in its restaurants and meatpacking facilities to explain to customers the mechanics behind making the Big Mac. The message that McDonald's wants to get across is that it only uses prime cuts of meat not prone to disease risk in its burgers.
To raise the public's awareness of these facts, McDonald's is relying on an
ad campaign that tells consumers that McDonald's burgers contain 'no offal,
no brain, no spinal cord and no lymph nodes.
The company is hoping to introduce local versions of its French strategy in Germany, Spain and Italy, in an effort to create demand in markets which have fallen by as much as 50%.
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
It's easier talking to your customers if you speak their language. With millions of speakers of minority languages around the world, food processors and retailers need to be able to communicate with t...
The mayor of US city Detroit is planning a 'fast food tax," with customers paying more for burgers, pizzas and hot dogs....
McDonald's Japan has today (Monday) reported first quarter net profit more than tripled, according to the Reuters news agency....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
US fastfood giant McDonald's has reported a 42% increase in first-quarter net income, boosted by strong sales and a one-time tax benefit of US$179m....
A former US government veterinarian has claimed the US government is hiding cases of BSE in the United States....
Canadian farmers have launched a C$7bn (US$5.67bn ) class-action suit against Canada's federal government for negligently allowing BSE to devastate the country's cattle sector....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review