US: Mead Johnson, Danone "team up on Pfizer baby food bid"
Reuters said yesterday (23 February) that Pfizer had given Mead Johnson and Danone permission to make a joint offer for its infant nutrition division.
Citing sources, the two companies will compete with Nestle in the next round of the auction for the business, which takes place on 5 March.
Speaking to just-food, a spokesperson for Mead Johnson declined to comment on what he called "marketplace speculation or rumours".
Officials at Danone and Nestle could not be reached for immediate comment.
Reuters' claims followed a Bloomberg report earlier this week that said Danone was weighing up a bid with Mead Johnson.
Pfizer announced last July that it was considering the "strategic alternatives" for the unit, which included a sale, spin-off "or other transaction".
Its infant nutrition business generated revenues of around $1.9bn in 2010. It sells products including infant formulas and growing-up milks in over 60 countries. It operates from five plants in Ireland, China, Singapore, the Philippines and Mexico.
There was a French flavour to the major industry headlines last week. Casino triumphantly announced its control of Brazil's largest retailer CBD. The new CEO at rival French retailer Carrefour made hi...
Danone has looked ahead to the "platform" it will attain in India's baby food market after sealing its takeover of the nutrition business of local firm Wockhardt Group, a year after agreeing on a deal...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Other Dairy in Russia