US: Mead Johnson, Danone "team up on Pfizer baby food bid"
Reuters said yesterday (23 February) that Pfizer had given Mead Johnson and Danone permission to make a joint offer for its infant nutrition division.
Citing sources, the two companies will compete with Nestle in the next round of the auction for the business, which takes place on 5 March.
Speaking to just-food, a spokesperson for Mead Johnson declined to comment on what he called "marketplace speculation or rumours".
Officials at Danone and Nestle could not be reached for immediate comment.
Reuters' claims followed a Bloomberg report earlier this week that said Danone was weighing up a bid with Mead Johnson.
Pfizer announced last July that it was considering the "strategic alternatives" for the unit, which included a sale, spin-off "or other transaction".
Its infant nutrition business generated revenues of around $1.9bn in 2010. It sells products including infant formulas and growing-up milks in over 60 countries. It operates from five plants in Ireland, China, Singapore, the Philippines and Mexico.
There was a French flavour to the major industry headlines last week. Casino triumphantly announced its control of Brazil's largest retailer CBD. The new CEO at rival French retailer Carrefour made hi...
Danone has looked ahead to the "platform" it will attain in India's baby food market after sealing its takeover of the nutrition business of local firm Wockhardt Group, a year after agreeing on a deal...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015