EU/CANADA: Meat and dairy impasse stalls free trade deal
Canada, EU talks hit deadlock on dairy, meat quotas
Free trade talks between the EU and Canada have hit a last minute impasse, with the EU demanding more access to Canadian dairy markets and Canada wanting to sell more meat products in the EU.
Milk, poultry and eggs are subject to production marketing controls in Canada and so the Canadian government is only offering small import quotas in dairy products for European exports, while demanding significant EU meat import quotas.
A European Commission document on the talks shows the EU is not impressed. "Canada is asking important volumes of beef, in particular fresh and chilled, as well as of pork, while offering very modest dairy volumes in exchange."
Branding the stand-off as "a major stumbling block in this end-game", the Commission noted that for most other food products, "both sides have agreed to liberalise". Controls will only remain for EU beef, pork and sweet corn imports and Canadian dairy, poultry and eggs imports.
Amanda Cheesley, spokesperson for EU food producers' federation Copa-Cogeca said it wanted the EU to stick to its guns: "Until Canada moves on dairy, we're not interested." But Copa supports the deal in general: "We're favourable, but not at any price. It's more interesting for Canada as the EU market is way bigger."
Food waste is again a hot topic in the food sector with the launch last month of FoodDrinkEurope's multi-stakeholder programme, Every Crumb Counts. Ben Cooper spoke with Tove Larsson, director of envi...
The European Parliament has endorsed a final deal agreed with EU member states on regulations on the composition of infant formula, baby food, diet replacements and special medical foods....
Dutch snacks firm Ad van Geloven is set for a new majority shareholder after The European Commission cleared a move from private-equity firm Avedon Capital Partners to buy a controlling stake in the f...
McCain Foods will have to offload the Lutosa retail brand in Europe after the EU looked into the impact of the Canadian giant's acquisition of the business from rival PinguinLutosa....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review