FINLAND: Meat firm HKScan expects profits to improve in 2012
Finnish meat firm HKScan has forecast higher profits in 2012 after a year when lower earnings and losses in Denmark weighed on its results.
HKScan, which supplies beef, pork and poultry to retailers and industry customers in northern Europe, said its EBIT would be "better" this year after a 17.5% fall in 2011.
In Sweden, HKScan's EBIT fell as it lapped a year when it benefited from one-off gains. Further south in Denmark, the company made an operating loss of EUR3.7m (US$4.9m) due to the combination of low sales prices for chicken leg quarters in the EU and the Middle East, as well as high raw material prices. Group EBIT reached EUR39.6m, compared to EUR48m in 2010.
However, the company's net sales increased 17.9% to EUR2.49bn after revenues rose across all its markets.
CEO Matti Perkonoja, who is due to leave the company next month, said its "market position" in "all the company's areas" was "strong".
HKScan's net profit for 2011 more than halved due to a rise in finance costs. It fell from EUR27.9m to EUR10.1m.
Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King this week welcomed moves from its UK retail rivals to invest in product quality and service after the retailer reported an increase in annual underlying profits...
Dubbed 'The Outperformer' by one set of City analysts, Sainsbury's announced annual profits that beat forecasts last week and the UK retailer remains confident in the face of increased competition. Th...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report