US: Meat firm Quantum Foods eyes sale to CTI Foods
US protein group Quantum Foods is in talks to sell "substantially all its business" to foodservice-focused supplier CTI Foods Holding.
Quantum, which supplies retail, foodservice and institutional customers, announced the discussions yesterday (19 February) and said it had filed for voluntary Chapter 11 protection to "facilitate the expected sale transaction".
The company said Chapter 11 protection would help obtain the necessary financing to "preserve continuity, to the greatest extent possible, for its customers, employees and business partners".
Quantum said it had "secured a commitment" for $60m in debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing from its lenders to "fund its ongoing operations and fully expects to operate its overall business as usual".
Despite the talks with CTI, Quantum said it plans to solicit for other bids to ensure it gets the "highest and best offer for the business".
Founder, owner and CEO Edward Bleka said: "With enhanced financial backing, Quantum expects to fully deliver on its historic commitment to fulfilling the needs of our customers efficiently, safely and always with superior quality and service. We believe the completion of the sale process will enable us to focus effectively on caring for our customers, vendor partners and employees, who have all been incredibly supportive to the company."
When asked for further comment, including on the recent financial performance of Quantum, a spokesperson declined to comment. "I cannot offer any more information beyond the news release," he said.
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019