BRAZIL: Meat group Marfrig books 2013 loss
Underlying earnings fell in 2013, amid pressure on profits from domestic beef arm
Brazilian meat group Marfrig fell into the red in 2013, hit by foreign exchange and losses from derivatives.
Marfrig booked a net loss of BRL816m (US$347.6m), which compared to a profit of BRL264m in 2012.
The company reported a 26% fall in EBITDA, which dropped to BRL1.38bn. Adjusted EBITDA, which excluded one-off items, was still down, sliding 4% to BRL1.45bn.
The fall in profits came in part due to lower margins at the company's Marfrig Beef, amid pressure on prices and an over-supply of beef at the start of the year.
Marfrig reported a 14% rise in net revenue to BRL18.75bn. Moy Park, its European division, saw sales increase 18%. Sales from Marfrig Beef climbed 14% to higher exports and domestic foodservice sales. Keystone, Marfrig's poultry arm, saw sales rise 10%.
Marfrig Beef continued to account for a majority of the company's adjusted EBITDA. However, in 2013, Moy Park generated 21% of the group's adjusted EBITDA, up from 16% in 2012. Keystone's proportion rose from 20% to 24%.
Click here for the full statement from Marfrig.
Frozen Food in Argentina industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The ...
Keystone Foods LLC - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offer...
Several companies have been launching new products during the review period. The most important are: Lisley SA with La Costeña Mexican canned ready meals; Darcel SA and Luis G Bonomi SA in dried ready...
Business Monitor International's Argentina Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015