UK: Meat-ing the Millennium challenge as ASDA steps in to save the Denby Dale pie
Sue Bridges, secretary of the Denby Dale Pie association said: "We're delighted that our Millennium Pie is back on track with its filling found - ASDA's action really is top crust!"
Rob Swyer, ASDA Meat Director, said: "The Denby Dale pie is part of our Yorkshire heritage - when we heard plans for the pie were crumbling, we wanted to be able to help. We're now looking forward to seeing the pie cooking on 2nd September and making the Millennium challenge come true."
- On September 2nd, up to 65,000 people are expected to share the Denby Dale pie, which will weigh more than 12 tonnes. Measuring 40 feet in length, the meat and potato filling will take about 12 hours to cook and will be served by over 100 people.
- The first Denby Dale pie was cooked in 1788 to celebrate the recovery of King George III from mental illness. From then, pies have been cooked at various stages in history to mark, among other things, the repeal of the Corn Laws, the Battle of Waterloo, Queen Victoria's jubilee and the Coronation.
- The meat is all sourced from Yorkshire, keeping to the Denby Dale tradition.
The organic market appears to be going from strength to strength, especially if this year's BioFach exhibition is anything to go by. With over 2,000 exhibitors from 70 countries and more than 30,000 v...
The Australian state of Victoria is investing in a programme to identify new opportunities for its food and agriculture industries. As part of this initiative the government conducted extensive resear...
Innovation is king - or is it? Fear of legislation or simple lack of imagination has depressed innovation in the food sector for a couple of years. Brand extensions and me-too copycats are not the sam...
US packaged foods company ConAgra has announced two new organic products to be launched under its Hunt's and Orville Redenbacher's brands....
Any move from Asda will be an important catalyst in the race to land Somerfield. The Wal-Mart owned group could well see its acquisition target as an important route into the ever-expanding convenienc...
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda has announced that it will switch 500,000 hens from battery cages into open barns by 1 May by changing the way in which it sources standard own label, fresh eggs....
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda, is considering a bid for supermarket Somerfield, according to the Sunday Telegraph newspaper....
UK Supermarkets import a much higher proportion of organic pork than is the case with conventional supplies, according to organic food lobby group the Soil Association....
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Ice cream helps Unilever sales, food flat
- Nestle organic growth slows but beats expectations
- Suntory to offload Australia, New Zealand foods
- ABF buys UK sports nutrition firms H5, Reflex