INDIA: Member of dairy co-op GCMMF plans plant
Banaskantha said demand for milk in and around New Delhi would jump
India's Banaskantha District Cooperative Milk Producers' Union, a member of the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation, which owns the popular Amul brand, is setting up a processing unit near New Delhi.
The company told just-food the new facility would meet the growing regional demand.
"We are building one million litres per day capacity unit in Faridabad (Haryana) and it will be ready by middle of 2015," Banaskantha chairman Parthi Bhatol said.
"The demand for our [liquid] milk in and around Delhi will increase from the present 650,000 litres-a-day to one million litres in next two years," Bhatol predicted. "We will also be setting up extensive milk procurement centres in the region."
The site, on which Banaskantha plans to spend US$48.2m, would be its first Banaskantha plant outside the state of Gujarat, 1,100 km away from the Indian capital, Bhatol explained.
Until now, Banaskantha milk has been transported from Gujarat and packed in rented facilities. The new unit will not only package liquid milk but produce a range of value-added dairy products, although the company insisted it has yet to decide which lines it will produce.
Synopsis Baby Food India examines the trends in the baby food market for 2006-2012, with forecasts to 2018. It examines how live birth rates, breastfeeding trends, the economic crisis, new product and...
Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) is expected to consolidate its position as the leading dairy player in India, as it enjoys leadership in key packaged food categories, driven by ...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report