INDIA: Member of dairy co-op GCMMF plans plant
Banaskantha said demand for milk in and around New Delhi would jump
India's Banaskantha District Cooperative Milk Producers' Union, a member of the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation, which owns the popular Amul brand, is setting up a processing unit near New Delhi.
The company told just-food the new facility would meet the growing regional demand.
"We are building one million litres per day capacity unit in Faridabad (Haryana) and it will be ready by middle of 2015," Banaskantha chairman Parthi Bhatol said.
"The demand for our [liquid] milk in and around Delhi will increase from the present 650,000 litres-a-day to one million litres in next two years," Bhatol predicted. "We will also be setting up extensive milk procurement centres in the region."
The site, on which Banaskantha plans to spend US$48.2m, would be its first Banaskantha plant outside the state of Gujarat, 1,100 km away from the Indian capital, Bhatol explained.
Until now, Banaskantha milk has been transported from Gujarat and packed in rented facilities. The new unit will not only package liquid milk but produce a range of value-added dairy products, although the company insisted it has yet to decide which lines it will produce.
Synopsis Baby Food India examines the trends in the baby food market for 2006-2012, with forecasts to 2018. It examines how live birth rates, breastfeeding trends, the economic crisis, new product and...
Cheese is made from milk obtained from cow, buffalo, goat, and sheep. Ten pounds of milk is used to prepare one pound of cheese. The taste and texture of cheese vary depending on the source of milk an...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)