Mengniu grows sales but net profit slips
Mengniu sees sales growth but earnings pressured
Chinese dairy giant Mengniu said its strategy is paying off today (25 August) as it booked higher sales for the first half of the year, although its profits were dented by losses from associates and other items.
The company said sales increased by 6.6% in the six months to 30 June, rising to CNY27.26bn (US$4.1bn). Mengniu said its revenue growth was supported by "active brand promotion and marketing".
The company also stressed efforts to strengthen its product mix are paying off. "Mengniu constantly strives to optimise its product mix with the aim of guiding the premium product consumption trend as well as promoting consumption of nutritious and healthy dairy products. During the period, Milk Deluxe continued to lead the high end market and Mengniu maintained leadership in liquid milk and chilled dairy product market with the largest market share," Mengniu noted.
This contributed to higher gross profit, which rose to CNY9.18bn versus CNY8.14bn last year. However, profit before tax declined due to a significant increase in losses from associates as well as higher selling and distribution expenses, losses on the fair valuation less cost to sell of livestock. Pre-tax profit totalled CNY1.49bn compared to CNY1.75bn in the previous year.
Lower taxation rates meant that the net profit decline was not as steep. For the six month period net profit stood at CNY1.18bn against CNY1.43bn in the first half of last year.
Inner Mongolia Mengniu Dairy Industry is expected to benefit strongly from the launch of Shanghai Disneyland in early-2016, with the company operating branded ice cream vendors at this theme park and ...
Retail volume sales of ice cream are expected to see low single-digit growth in 2015, impeded by a cool summer in China, resulting in sluggish demand for ice cream products, especially water ice cream...
China faced decelerating economic growth at the end of the review period, which resulted in some consumers exercising more caution in their spending....
Sales of organic packaged food are benefiting strongly from widening distribution, particularly for organic milk....
Ice cream is a popular frozen dessert. It is made from milk and cream and is combined with fruits and other flavors....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image