SPAIN: Mercadona sees sales, earnings rise in 2013
Mercadona upped sales and profits in 2013
Mercadona, Spain's largest food retailer, has booked higher annual sales and profits.
The family-owned supermarket chain posted a 1% rise in net profit for 2013 to EUR515m (US$715.6m).
Sales were up 4% at EUR19.18bn. Mercadona said sales volumes were up 2%.
Mercadona invested EUR650m on 61 new stores, refurbishing 53 others and building a logistics centre at Guadix. It ended the year with 1,467 supermarkets.
In 2014, Mercadona plans to spend EUR700m on 60 more outlets, refreshing existing stores and continuing to build the logistics site in Abrera.
- Deal or no deal: Frozen sale makes sense for Kerry
- On the money: How Greencore is outperforming
- JBS sees big opportunity from Primo Smallgoods
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Regional start-ups aim to ride China's online boom
- Kerry puts frozen food unit on block - reports
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "mislead parents"
- Coca-Cola eyes long-term rewards with dairy push
- United Biscuits UK plant to start strike action
- Indofood to buy Danone's Indonesian dairy arm