SPAIN: Mercadona sees sales, earnings rise in 2013
Mercadona upped sales and profits in 2013
Mercadona, Spain's largest food retailer, has booked higher annual sales and profits.
The family-owned supermarket chain posted a 1% rise in net profit for 2013 to EUR515m (US$715.6m).
Sales were up 4% at EUR19.18bn. Mercadona said sales volumes were up 2%.
Mercadona invested EUR650m on 61 new stores, refurbishing 53 others and building a logistics centre at Guadix. It ended the year with 1,467 supermarkets.
In 2014, Mercadona plans to spend EUR700m on 60 more outlets, refreshing existing stores and continuing to build the logistics site in Abrera.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report