SPAIN: Mercadona sees sales, earnings rise in 2013
Mercadona upped sales and profits in 2013
Mercadona, Spain's largest food retailer, has booked higher annual sales and profits.
The family-owned supermarket chain posted a 1% rise in net profit for 2013 to EUR515m (US$715.6m).
Sales were up 4% at EUR19.18bn. Mercadona said sales volumes were up 2%.
Mercadona invested EUR650m on 61 new stores, refurbishing 53 others and building a logistics centre at Guadix. It ended the year with 1,467 supermarkets.
In 2014, Mercadona plans to spend EUR700m on 60 more outlets, refreshing existing stores and continuing to build the logistics site in Abrera.
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Analysis: Market bets on higher Chiquita offer
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Briefing: Expansion agenda of Japan's food majors
- Briefing: Tokyo plans to double food exports
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Campbell Soup's Plum division to pull out of UK
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz