SPAIN: Mercadona sees sales, earnings rise in 2013
Mercadona upped sales and profits in 2013
Mercadona, Spain's largest food retailer, has booked higher annual sales and profits.
The family-owned supermarket chain posted a 1% rise in net profit for 2013 to EUR515m (US$715.6m).
Sales were up 4% at EUR19.18bn. Mercadona said sales volumes were up 2%.
Mercadona invested EUR650m on 61 new stores, refurbishing 53 others and building a logistics centre at Guadix. It ended the year with 1,467 supermarkets.
In 2014, Mercadona plans to spend EUR700m on 60 more outlets, refreshing existing stores and continuing to build the logistics site in Abrera.
- Campbell Soup Co.'s M&A plans should avoid fresh
- Briefing: How is gluten-free faring in Europe?
- Mead Johnson wrestles "irrational" Chinese market
- Happy Family CEO on baby and beyond
- BRICs and beyond: Kam Tai's Chinese growth story
- Post, TreeHouse "in talks over ConAgra own-label"
- Lactalis surpasses Danone on dairy league table
- Mondelez Mexico investment to hit 600 US jobs
- Greencore sales up on UK, US growth
- Sainsbury's launches kids frozen meal range