SPAIN: Mercadona sees sales, earnings rise in 2013
Mercadona upped sales and profits in 2013
Mercadona, Spain's largest food retailer, has booked higher annual sales and profits.
The family-owned supermarket chain posted a 1% rise in net profit for 2013 to EUR515m (US$715.6m).
Sales were up 4% at EUR19.18bn. Mercadona said sales volumes were up 2%.
Mercadona invested EUR650m on 61 new stores, refurbishing 53 others and building a logistics centre at Guadix. It ended the year with 1,467 supermarkets.
In 2014, Mercadona plans to spend EUR700m on 60 more outlets, refreshing existing stores and continuing to build the logistics site in Abrera.
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Comment: Hain Celestial cognisant of US challenges
- What should you learn from 2015 olive oil prices?
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Why Lactalis swooped for Romanian dairy Albalact
- Mondelez continues to see margins up, sales mixed
- Hain Celestial lifted by international, protein
- China eyes further infant formula restrictions
- Unilever launches eggless Hellmann's mayo in US
- Unilever launches dairy-free Ben & Jerry's in US