GERMANY/NEW ZEALAND: Merger creates new global sausage giant
German wurst giant Raspe and Paschen has joined with a New Zealand meat processor to create one of the world's largest sausage producers. The new company, trading as Rapa United Casings (NZ), is a 50-50 venture between the Hamburg-based sausage casing dealer and Affco NZ. Affco chief executive Ross Townshend said Rapa would tackle its major global competitors, mainly European companies, head-on, and would focus on producing products that meet customers' specifications.Affco will export "green runners," unprocessed sheep and lamb intestines to be used as sausage casings, from a new plant. The joint venture with a major European producer will give the kiwi company access to a global customer base and wider exposure to export markets.New Zealand was home to the world's largest natural sausage casing company, the New Zealand Casing co, but the operation was broken up when it was taken over three years ago.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast