UK: Merrill improves Safeway rating in response to Asda news
Sara Carter, Merrill analyst, explained: "We think leaving Allan Leighton leaving is a bit of a blow for Asda, and we think that Safeway will be a beneficiary. (So) it's not advisable to stick with a 'reduce' recommendation."
Supermarket Safeway is today (Wednesday) opening a new $175m distribution centre in Auburn, Washington, the culmination of a 2 1/2 year project which it says solidifies its position in the north west....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
UK supermarket Sainsbury grew faster than Wal-Mart's Asda in the twelve weeks to 27 March 2005, the first time that has happened for ten years, according to figures from market researchers TNS....
US retail giant Wal-Mart today (Thursday) said it expects sales growth for the first quarter, which runs to the end of April, to be at the low end of its predicted 3% to 5% range. ...
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda has announced price cuts worth £100m (US$188m)....
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda has awarded a contract to frozen food supplier Fullers Foods International to supply UK frozen vegetables for all its 274 stores in Britain....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund