UK: Metro Group's Makro gives senior role to Asda exec Edwards
Edwards joins the Makro board after 15 years at Asda and will oversee the wholesaler's range reviews and new product categorisation.
"Huw's appointment is not only a coup for us, it's a statement of our intent," said Makro MD Hannes Floto.
"It captures in a nutshell our strategy of bringing in the very best person for each role at Makro, and underlines the full extent of our ambition. We're working hard to return Makro to its former position of strength, and Huw’s experience and expertise gained at Asda can only propel us further forward."
There has been some speculation over Makro's future in the UK, with some suggestions buyers are being sought for the company's stores.
Floto has dismissed the claims, insisting there are no plans to sell any of the 30 Makro stores in the UK and that there is "significant" investment being put behind the business.
Reflecting on his appointment, Edwards said: "Wholesale is a new challenge after many years in retail, but my strong grocer background and passion for trading mean I will quickly get to grips with what Makro needs to deliver: the right articles at the right prices."
The speculation over the future of Metro Group's chief executive intensified last week, casting doubts over the direction of the world's fourth-largest retailer....
UK retailer bakery chain Greggs has confirmed that it will roll out branded frozen sausage rolls into over 700 Iceland Foods stores....
Tesco, Asda and Ocado increased the number of promotions they had on offer in September, according to data from the latest just-food Promo Tracker....
Swiss grocery retailer Migros has handed the temporary CEO of its discount chain Denner the job on a permanent basis....
This week's featured reports include SWOT analyses of UK retailers Tesco and Asda, research on the development of health and wellness brands in China and a look at ingredients maker Firmenich....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review