CANADA: Metro Inc outpaces rival Loblaw
- FY profits and sales up
- Same-store sales increase in FY and Q4
- Rival Loblaw saw Q3 same-store sales fall
Sales were up at Metro, while they were down at Loblaw
Metro's full-year earnings were boosted by its acquisition of local rival Marché Adonis and higher sales from existing stores.
It also yesterday (14 November) reported an increase in fourth-quarter same-store sales. Loblaw booked a fall in same-store sales for the third quarter of the year.
Metro's annual net earnings were up 24.6% to C$489.3m (US$488.7m) for the year to 29 September. Excluding a gain from its investment in c-store retailer Couche-Tard and costs filed last year from asset closures, Metro reported a 15.6% rise in profits to C$470.6m.
Sales were up 5.4% to C$12.01bn, thanks in part to the contribution of Adonis, which Metro acquired last year, and the impact of an extra week in the financial year. Nevertheless, same-store sales increased 1.2%.
Fourth-quarter same-store sales were up 1.1%. Metro rival Loblaw yesterday reported its results for the third quarter its financial year. Its same-store sales in the three months to the end of September fell 0.2%.
METRO REPORTS GROWTH OF 27.8% IN 2012 FOURTH QUARTER ADJUSTED NET
EARNINGS PER SHARE
(Montreal, November 14, 2012) – METRO INC. (TSX : MRU) announced its results today for the fourth quarter and
fiscal year ended September 29, 2012.
2012 FOURTH QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
13-week quarter versus 12 weeks in 2011
Net earnings of $145.1 million, or $1.46 per share, up 75.9%
Adjusted net earnings (1) of $123.4 million, or $1.24 per share, up 27.8%
Sales of $2,943.7 million, up 11.1%
Same store sales up 1.1%
Declared dividend of $0.215 per share, up 11.7%
FISCAL 2012 HIGHLIGHTS
53-week fiscal year versus 52 weeks in 2011
Net earnings of $489.3 million, or $4.84 per share, up 27.7%
Adjusted net earnings (1) of $470.6 million, or $4.65 per share, up 18.3%
Sales of $12,010.8 million, up 5.4%
Same store sales up 1.2%
Original source: http://metro.ca/userfiles/File/Corpo/resultats-trimestriels/metro-2012-Q4-EN-Press%20Release.pdf
Canadian food manufacturer and retailer George Weston Limited has reported higher first-quarter profits after improved results from retail arm Loblaw....
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site
- Arla Foods to help Nigeria's dairy development