GERMANY/JAPAN: Metro opens first Japanese outlet in JV with Marubeni
German retail giant Metro has opened its first Japanese outlet in the members-only commercial wholesaling chain it is developing as a joint venture with Marubeni Corp. The new outlet has already signed up over 10,000 members from small restaurants and food retailers. Metro chairman and CEO Hans-Joachim Koeber told the Nikkei Report that the company has no current plans to enter the retail business in Japan as it has in Europe.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada