GERMANY: Metro silent over Auchan talks for Real deal
The sale would reportedly include Real’s operations in Poland, Romania, Russia and Ukraine, while excluding those in Turkey and some real estate
A spokesperson for Metro said he would not comment on a Bloomberg report today (29 November) that it is near to closing a EUR1bn (US$1.3bn) deal for the operations with Auchan.
The sale would exclude Real's operations in Turkey, sources told the publication.
Earlier this week, Metro had declined to comment on reports this week that Auchan was a frontrunner for the operations.
In July, Metro said it had received some interest in the international business of Real but said there had been "no concrete negotiations" and that no decision to sell the stores had been made.
Reports in October had linked Auchan, along with Russian retailer O'Key as two of three bidders in the running for the Real stores in Russia.
The group is expected to reveal details of its plans for the future of Real on the release of its full-year results next year.
Auchan could not be reached for comment.
Auchan Hypermarket Ukraine introduced a new concept for Ukraine, the so-called “discounter hypermarket”. This format provides the lowest prices in the entire range of these stores. It goal is to impro...
Facing challenging conditions for hypermarket operators in France and other Western European markets, Auchan is battling to improve its price image while maintaining profits, while internet retailers ...
The report provides a review of M&As, capital-raising, partnering deals, and agreements entered into by retail companies during November 2012. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report written? U...
- Focus: The impact of Heinz's stevia ketchup
- M&A Watch: Why Danone/Lifeway deal could be next
- Focus: Gen Mills turns to M&A to bolster US ops
- Viewpoint: US health food in play - at a price
- Shopper trends: Some confidence but promos popular
- Burton's "eyeing" United Biscuits merger
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria
- General Mills Q1 profits tumble
- WhiteWave to buy dairy-free firm So Delicious