GERMANY: Metro silent over Auchan talks for Real deal
The sale would reportedly include Real’s operations in Poland, Romania, Russia and Ukraine, while excluding those in Turkey and some real estate
A spokesperson for Metro said he would not comment on a Bloomberg report today (29 November) that it is near to closing a EUR1bn (US$1.3bn) deal for the operations with Auchan.
The sale would exclude Real's operations in Turkey, sources told the publication.
Earlier this week, Metro had declined to comment on reports this week that Auchan was a frontrunner for the operations.
In July, Metro said it had received some interest in the international business of Real but said there had been "no concrete negotiations" and that no decision to sell the stores had been made.
Reports in October had linked Auchan, along with Russian retailer O'Key as two of three bidders in the running for the Real stores in Russia.
The group is expected to reveal details of its plans for the future of Real on the release of its full-year results next year.
Auchan could not be reached for comment.
Auchan Hypermarket Ukraine introduced a new concept for Ukraine, the so-called “discounter hypermarket”. This format provides the lowest prices in the entire range of these stores. It goal is to impro...
Facing challenging conditions for hypermarket operators in France and other Western European markets, Auchan is battling to improve its price image while maintaining profits, while internet retailers ...
The report provides a review of M&As, capital-raising, partnering deals, and agreements entered into by retail companies during November 2012. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report written? U...
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Analysis: Market bets on higher Chiquita offer
- FMCG sales slowing despite economic green shoots
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Switz rejects EU plea to bypass Russia export ban
- Parmalat nears Lacteos Brasil acquisition
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Russian government eases ban on food imports