GERMANY: Metro sourcing strategy to "boost" small food manufacturers
Metro to reorganise worldwide cash & carry sourcing
German retail giant Metro Group has insisted that a new sourcing strategy will "strengthen" smaller food manufacturers.
From 2012, the wholesale operator will change the way it buys fresh produce, such as fruit, vegetables, fish and meat.
Metro said that it would phase out the so-called "later income" - whereby the income on the originally agreed purchase price is calculated at the end of the year - for ultra-fresh produce.
The company - the world's fourth-largest retailer - also plans to establish central procurement locations for direct sourcing. Metro will begin buying products directly from suppliers through five central buying offices in a variety of locations "from South America to Oceania".
Metro insisted that the moves would benefit smaller suppliers as they would gain "added security and forward planning". "The measures will tighten our relationship with local suppliers, better serve our customers with a wider product assortment and reduce costs," a spokesperson for the company said.
Woolworths Ltd has tapped the CEO of Tesco's Malaysian unit to lead its Australian supermarkets and petrol stations division....
This week, Kraft announced plans to split the company in two, while speculation continued that Unilever might sell-off its food division. Meanwhile, Premier Foods booked what it described as a "poor" ...
The chief executive of Metro Group said today (2 August) the German retailer "held up well" during the first half of the year after the company posted a set of mixed results....
German retailer Metro Group has lowered its forecast for annual sales, pointing to challenging economic conditions in Europe....
India has come a step closer to opening up multi-brand retail to overseas operators after a key government committee approved an easing of rules on foreign investment....
Metro Group has appointed Akin Bayer as managing director of the group's Austrian cash-and-carry operations....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review