GERMANY: Metro tight-lipped over Real eastern European sale talks
German retail giant Metro Group has declined to comment on reports it is in talks with several potential buyers for its Real stores in eastern Europe.
According to a Reuters report yesterday, French rival Auchan as a frontrunner for the operations. However, the French retailer said it would not comment on market speculation or rumours.
The German retail giant has repeatedly denied reports it is looking to sell off its Real hypermarket stores outside Germany as part of a restructuring of the business.
In July, Metro said it had received some interest in the international business of Real but said there had been "no concrete negotiations" and that no decision to sell the stores had been made.
Reports in October had linked Auchan, along with Russian retailer O'Key as two of three bidders in the running for the Real stores in Russia.
The group is expected to reveal details of its plans for the future of Real on the release of its full-year results next year.
Facing challenging conditions for hypermarket operators in France and other Western European markets, Auchan is battling to improve its price image while maintaining profits, while internet retailers ...
Auchan Hypermarket Ukraine introduced a new concept for Ukraine, the so-called “discounter hypermarket”. This format provides the lowest prices in the entire range of these stores. It goal is to impro...
The report provides a review of M&As, capital-raising, partnering deals, and agreements entered into by retail companies during November 2012. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report written? U...
- Focus: Danone CEO Faber puts stamp on business
- Cleaning up Tesco will have mixed supplier impact
- The just-food interview: Doux CEO Arnaud Marion
- 2015 preview: A better deal for M&A sellers
- Interview part 2: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- General Mills outlines "aggressive" NPD drive
- Coles supplier payments broke competition law
- Lay's heads "billionaire food brands" list
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia
- Wessanen to buy dairy-free drinks firm Abafoods