CHINA: Metro to invest in expansion in China
German retail giant Metro has said it plans to spend around €600m (US$688.3m) on expanding its operations in China by 40 stores during the next five years. Chief executive Hans-Joachim Korber said he did not see other international retailers such as Carrefour and Wal-Mart as competition in China, because Metro focuses its sales toward business customers, such as restaurants and hotels, rather than individual consumers.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast