AUS: Milk output fall leads Murray Goulburn to cut jobs
Australian dairy giant Murray Goulburn has announced a raft of job cuts to its Victoria operations in a bid to cut costs.
Murray Goulbourn said it is cutting 64 positions from its Rochester plant in Northern Victoria.
The company said the cuts followed a "detailed review" of its operations amid a "significant reduction" in local milk production in northern Victoria and southern Riverina in recent years
The company said it has advised staff, suppliers and shareholders that the milk powder drying operation at its Rochester facility will be closed and placed into a "care and maintenance" programme until higher milk production levels return to the region. The changes are expected to be implemented by 30 April.
"Although there are encouraging signs of a recovery in milk production in the region, unfortunately it will not be sufficient to justify the continued full operation of the Rochester site at this time," said Murray Goulburn managing director Gary Helou.
"It is in the interest of our suppliers, shareholders, employees, communities, customers and consumers that we ensure that MG remains a strong business into the future."
Japanese conglomerate Mitsubishi has invested in Australian dairy ingredients supplier Tasmanian Dairy Products....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report