AUS: Milk output fall leads Murray Goulburn to cut jobs
Australian dairy giant Murray Goulburn has announced a raft of job cuts to its Victoria operations in a bid to cut costs.
Murray Goulbourn said it is cutting 64 positions from its Rochester plant in Northern Victoria.
The company said the cuts followed a "detailed review" of its operations amid a "significant reduction" in local milk production in northern Victoria and southern Riverina in recent years
The company said it has advised staff, suppliers and shareholders that the milk powder drying operation at its Rochester facility will be closed and placed into a "care and maintenance" programme until higher milk production levels return to the region. The changes are expected to be implemented by 30 April.
"Although there are encouraging signs of a recovery in milk production in the region, unfortunately it will not be sufficient to justify the continued full operation of the Rochester site at this time," said Murray Goulburn managing director Gary Helou.
"It is in the interest of our suppliers, shareholders, employees, communities, customers and consumers that we ensure that MG remains a strong business into the future."
Japanese conglomerate Mitsubishi has invested in Australian dairy ingredients supplier Tasmanian Dairy Products....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details