DENMARK: Milk price pressures Arla H1 earnings
- Net profit falls 16.2%
- Operating profit down 6.4%
- Net sales climb 12%
Arla said the world commodity market had proved “more unfavourable than foreseen”
Danish dairy co-operative Arla Foods has booked a drop in first-half profits as a decline in global milk prices put "significant" pressure on earnings.
In the six months to the end of June, net profit slid 16.2% to DKK513m (US$86.5m), Arla said today (3 September).
The dairy firm said the world commodity market had proved "more unfavourable than foreseen", primarily due to an "unexpected" increase in world milk production. There had been pressure on prices and therefore earnings from commodity trading and global e-auction sales, affecting 25% of its milk.
Operating profit in the period amounted to DKK669m, a 6.4% decline on the prior-year period.
Sales, however, climbed 12% to DKK29.91bn due to a combination of organic growth within core and growth markets and the benefit of recent M&A.
For the full year, Arla reiterated it expects to deliver revenue of DKK60bn, a figure which excludes the effects of the potential mergers. Earnings, however are expected to be "slightly below the level of Arla earnings pr. kg of milk in 2011", the group said.
Last week, a number of the challenges facing food manufacturers and retailers were once again thrown into sharp relief. The industry continued to grapple with the cyclical difficulties of a down globa...
Growing competition for space in key emerging markets appears to have convinced Arla Foods that it needs to act now if it is to secure a market for its milk supplies beyond 2015....
Arla Foods has initiated a recall of its Mauri branded Gorgonzola cheese after tests detected low levels of Listeria monocytogenes....
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report