INDIA: Mondelez "co-operating" with authorities over Cadbury tax probe
Cadbury is being investigated over allegations the company may have evaded as much as INR2bn (US$36.29m) in taxes
Mondelez International has said it is co-operating with authorities in India over alleged tax evasion in the country.
The snacks group's Cadbury India unit is being investigated over claims the company may have evaded as much as INR2bn (US$36.3m) in taxes.
According to Reuters, finance minister SS Palanimanickam told India's Parliament this week: "Two cases of tax evasion by Cadbury India Limited has been detected by the Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence during the years 2009-10 to 2012-13, up to 31st October, 2012."
A spokesperson for Cadbury said in a statement: "A compliant and ethical corporate culture, which includes adhering to laws and regulations in the countries in which we operate, is integral to our success. To that end, we are fully co-operating with the authorities on this enquiry. Since the investigation currently is under way, it will be inappropriate on our part to discuss the details at this time."
This is the latest of two cases against Cadbury's Indian unit. In January last year, an investigation was launched to investigate whether Kraft Foods needed to pay taxes arising from it takeover of Cadbury.
Kraft rejected the criticism levelled at the company. However, the probe is understood to be ongoing.
Japanese food group Ezaki Glico will start selling Pocky chocolate in South Korea through a venture with local candy firm Haitai Confectionery....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities