US: Mondelez coy on cheese, grocery market exit talk
Mondelez has refused to comment on speculation the separation of its cheese unit from the rest of the business could lead to a sale of it
Mondelez International has refused to be drawn into speculation the separation of its European cheese and grocery business could lead to a sale or spinoff of the unit.
Bloomberg, citing a person familiar with the matter, said the firm's decision to separate the unit "may pave the way for an exit from the cheese and grocery business".
The unit comprises Philadelphia cream cheese, as well as regional brands Sottilette and El Caserio.
Speaking to just-food today, a spokesperson for Mondelez confirmed plans to separate the unit.
"We continually review the brands and products within our portfolio and their role in our business. After the coffee transaction closes, we'll have a European business that's 90 percent snacking-focused - chocolate, biscuits, gum and candy. Given the impact of the coffee transaction on our European operations, we've decided to create a predominantly stand-alone cheese and grocery category in Europe to ensure appropriate focus and create the flexibility required to ensure the long-term success of this business."
However, on the claim the move could lead to the sale of the business, he added: "As a matter of practice, we do not speculate on market rumours."
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Mondelez International, Inc. (Mondelez) formerly, Kraft Foods Inc. is a food and beverage company. It manufactures and markets a range of snacks, confectionery, and quick meal products....
2013 saw Mondelez International Inc complete its first full year as a separate company after its split from Kraft Foods Inc and remains the second largest packaged food company globally. With a stream...
2014 was a challenging but significant year for Mondelez. The company remains strong across a broad range of regions, unlike other confectionery and snacks manufacturers. The company has also made sig...
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Decision on US dietary advice missed opportunity
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Retail margin management in spotlight
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- PepsiCo to close Australia crisps plant
- Arla banned from selling skyr yoghurt in Finland
- Raisio revamps UK cereal arm, jobs to go
- US dietary guidelines to ignore environment impact
- Earth's Best infant formula line launched in China
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom