US: Mondelez coy on cheese, grocery market exit talk
Mondelez has refused to comment on speculation the separation of its cheese unit from the rest of the business could lead to a sale of it
Mondelez International has refused to be drawn into speculation the separation of its European cheese and grocery business could lead to a sale or spinoff of the unit.
Bloomberg, citing a person familiar with the matter, said the firm's decision to separate the unit "may pave the way for an exit from the cheese and grocery business".
The unit comprises Philadelphia cream cheese, as well as regional brands Sottilette and El Caserio.
Speaking to just-food today, a spokesperson for Mondelez confirmed plans to separate the unit.
"We continually review the brands and products within our portfolio and their role in our business. After the coffee transaction closes, we'll have a European business that's 90 percent snacking-focused - chocolate, biscuits, gum and candy. Given the impact of the coffee transaction on our European operations, we've decided to create a predominantly stand-alone cheese and grocery category in Europe to ensure appropriate focus and create the flexibility required to ensure the long-term success of this business."
However, on the claim the move could lead to the sale of the business, he added: "As a matter of practice, we do not speculate on market rumours."
Mondelez International, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Mondelez International, Inc. (MDLZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been com...
Mondelez International was created in October 2012 as Kraft Foods Inc has restructured its operations into two independently listed entities. Mondelez is home to the international snack food portfolio...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits