UK: Mondelez injects $124m into Cadbury factory revamp
The $124m booster is hoped to bring the Bournville site to a level where it can compete better with rivals
The investment, subject to a successful conclusion of its employee consultation, will see a revamp of the facilities including the introduction of four new lines which would replace existing out-of-date lines.
The aim is to bring Bournville to a level where it can compete more effectively with manufacturing facilities in other European markets, Mondelez said.
"This investment would secure the site's future for the next generation. The competitiveness gap we have identified means we are already missing out on important opportunities to grow," Neil Chapman, manufacturing director for Mondelez's UK chocolate business said chocolate UK, said.
"Through our consultation, we want to hear as many ideas as possible from our employees on how, alongside our GBP75m investment, we achieve improvements that boost competitiveness, thereby securing the next generation of manufacturing at Bournville."
The investment builds on an initial GBP33m investment announced in 2011 to improve competitiveness. Bournville benefited, although around 200 jobs were cut at three other Cadbury sites.
Maurizio Brusadelli, president of Mondelez's business in the UK and Ireland, added: "This substantial investment in Bournville manufacturing will strengthen the competitive advantage of the facility on an international level, and will deliver a strong platform for developing our people and skills for the future. It will also contribute to the company's strategic goals of driving growth and improving margins."
The then Kraft Foods took over Cadbury in 2010 before splitting in 2012 into a US-focused grocery business and a global snacks supplier - which was renamed Mondelez.
2013 saw Mondelez International Inc complete its first full year as a separate company after its split from Kraft Foods Inc and remains the second largest packaged food company globally. With a stream...
Mondelez International was created in October 2012 as Kraft Foods Inc has restructured its operations into two independently listed entities. Mondelez is home to the international snack food portfolio...
"The Future of the Prepared Meals Market in South Korea to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and compa...
"The Future of the Prepared Meals Market in Philippines to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and compa...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report