UK: Mondelez makes confectionery calorie pledge
Mondelez pledge will mean end of Cadbury Bar and a Half lines
Mondelez International has said its single-serve confectionery on sale in the UK will not include more than 250 calories by the end of the next year.
The snacks giant said the commitment, made under the UK government's Responsibility Deal on health initiatives with the food industry, would see the end of its Cadbury Bar and a Half lines.
"We can confirm that this new commitment means that we will no longer provide Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar and a Half, Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar and a Half Whole Nut and Cadbury Dairy Milk Bar and a Half Fruit and Nut in the UK by the end of 2015. Whilst this might be disappointing news for our Bar and a Half fans, we believe that by focusing on portion size, we can help consumers manage their calorie intake," Mondelez said.
Two years ago, Mondelez rival Mars Inc announced a calorie cap in the UK as part of reductions around the world. Mars said it would also limit the number of calories in its chocolate to 250.
2014 was a challenging but significant year for Mondelez. The company remains strong across a broad range of regions, unlike other confectionery and snacks manufacturers. The company has also made sig...
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Campaigners attack UK child obesity plan
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights