US: Mondelez ups snacks focus in restructuring drive
Mondelez International said today (6 May) that it has zeroed-in on its snack business as it booked an increase in first-quarter earnings.
The group struck a deal that will see it combine its coffee portfolio with Master Blenders in a move that will create the "world's leading" pure-play coffee group. Mondelez said it will receive post-tax proceeds of around US$5bn and a 49% stake in the new entity.
Following the deal, snacks will generate around 85% of Mondelez's net revenue, the company said.
Mondelez also announced plans to reduce operating costs to "best in class" levels. The company launched a restructuring programme that it said will deliver annualised cost savings of US$1.5bn by 2018. Mondelez said that it will invest $3.5bn in lowering costs. Previously, the company had said it intended to expand margins by 15-16% by 2016.
"The strategic and cost-reduction actions we announced today underscore our determination to become a leaner, more focused and more nimble global snacking powerhouse," said Irene Rosenfeld, chairman and CEO.
On a reported basis, first-quarter net revenues were $8.6bn, down 1.2%. Operating income was $843m, up 1.1%.
Click here for the full release.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
2013 saw Mondelez International Inc complete its first full year as a separate company after its split from Kraft Foods Inc and remains the second largest packaged food company globally. With a stream...
2014 was a challenging but significant year for Mondelez. The company remains strong across a broad range of regions, unlike other confectionery and snacks manufacturers. The company has also made sig...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015