UPDATE: CANADA: More job cuts expected at Maple Leaf
Maple Leaf eyes savings following Canada Bread sale
More job cuts are likely to result from Maple Leaf Foods' move to realign its organisational structure after the group sold off its bakery unit earlier this year.
The company revealed a senior management shake-up this morning (27 March) as it works to "right size" its business. The news comes in the wake of the disposal of its majority-owned bakery unit, Canada Bread, which was sold to Grupo Bimbo.
At the "most senior level" Maple Leaf said Maple Leaf financial executive Debbie Simpson will succeed Michael Vels as CFO, while Gary Maksymetz will replace Richard Lan as chief operating officer. The company did not, however, detail whether further redundancies would follow.
"Once the bakery transaction closes we will make organisational changes to right size our structure to meet the needs of Maple Leaf Foods going forward. We are not in a position to disclose any details at this time; these changes will occur once the transaction closes," a spokesperson for the company told just-food.
"We're looking across our organisation to make sure we put the right structure in place," the spokesperson added.
The group declined to provide further details on possible job losses.
One industry insider suggested management is yet to look at lower level job reductions "in depth" as that decision is somewhat dependant on Bimbo's plans for the bakery business.
Additional job reductions are therefore expected over the course of the year and severance costs will be attached to these, the source indicated. Separately in its announcement earlier today, Maple Leaf said it would specify the charges it will incur when it reports its first-quarter numbers.
The company has targeted cost C$65m (US$58.8m) in dissynergies, just-food understands. It is believed that $10-15m could come from workforce reductions.
Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V. (Grupo Bimbo) is one of the leading baking companies in the world. It carries out the production, distribution, and marketing of more than 10,000 products including sliced ...
Maple Leaf Foods Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service of...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Maple Leaf Foods Inc. (MLF) is a Canadian food processing company. It is involved in production of meat, bakery and agricultural products. The product portfolio includes chilled and ready to cook, rea...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020