INDIA: More protests against Reliance expansion
Local traders in India have held more protests against the expansion of Reliance Retail across the country.
Police closed shops in the Indian city of Bhubaneswar yesterday (7 November), as traders protested against the opening of Reliance Fresh outlets.
"We are against Reliance and the whole idea of big companies setting up in retail must be stopped at once," K. Mohanthy, one of the protestors, told just-food.
The protests were against the state government's decision to allow Reliance Retail to open 30 more Reliance Fresh outlets in the city. The company has already opened three stores in Bhubaneswar.
The protests followed a huge demonstration in Mumbai last month against the growth of organised retail in India.
Manu Kapoor, vice president for corporate affairs at Reliance Retail, said: "We have to wait and negotiate with the people once again, since they really have nothing to lose but a lot to gain."
However, local traders believe otherwise. Mohanty said: "First, they will take our suppliers, then they will take our customers. Small business will be out of business if we don't stop them now."
Sir Stuart Rose is seen as the man who saved Marks & Spencer, one of the flagship names in UK retail. His achievements even helped him become a knight of the realm in the New Year. However, this year,...
Marks & Spencer has ended weeks of speculation over its plans to enter India with an announcement that it has sealed a joint venture agreement with local retailer Reliance Retail....
India is seeing a "gold rush" in its fledgling retail industry, according to the head of telecoms giant Bharti Enterprises, which is developing a local joint venture US giant Wal-Mart....
Carrefour CEO Jose Luis Duran said today (9 April) that the French retail giant is looking to "delay as much as possible" its decision on entering India....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Pladis stepping up growth investments
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report