UK: Morrisons defends M-Savers caged eggs
Morrisons said it had sold eggs from caged hens previously under a tertiary brand Star Lay
UK retailer Morrisons has said it has started selling eggs from caged hens under its M Savers own-label range to "take control" of its supply chain.
The retailer has faced criticism from animal welfare group Compassion in World Farming (CIWF) following its decision to introduce eggs from caged hens under the M Savers line. CIWF described the move as "negative" and a "backward step" and stripped Morrisons of an award it gave to the retailer four years ago.
However, a spokesperson for Morrisons said the retailer had sold eggs from caged hens previously under a tertiary brand Star Lay.
He added: "Pretty much all supermarkets sell eggs from caged hens. What we decided was that rather than selling the eggs using this tertiary brand we were going to take control and sell these under our own M Savers brand. We want to have control over the supply chain, so rather than selling branded caged eggs we want to sell them as our own brand."
Steve McIvor, director of food business for CIWF, said the move by Morrisons comes at a time when other retailer across Europe, including Sainsbury's, The Co-operative Food and Ocado "are taking positive steps to improve welfare"
"This is a really surprising and unfortunate decision by Morrisons and goes against the general retail trend," he added.
The European food industry has been shaken to its core by a scandal involving the contamination of processed beef products with undeclared horsemeat. The scare has undermined consumer confidence in th...
Morrisons has acquired six HMV stores from the music retailer's administrator, Deloitte, as the grocer seeks to expand its presence in convenience....
Morrisons has this week launched a range of world foods to meet increased demand from different ethnic groups in the UK....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Brexit – How France's food market will be hit
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights