UK: Morrisons, Global Pacific JV buys ex-Fresh Del Monte banana plant
Morrisons said acquisition would help it control ripening process, meet consumer demand and lower costs
Morrisons said today (26 July) it had snapped up the banana ripening facility in Boston through a venture with Global Pacific, which will run the plant on behalf of the retailer. The retailer could not provide financial details at the time of writing.
The UK's fourth-largest grocer said it wanted to better "control" the quality of the fruit to meet consumer demand. Bananas will be ripened at the plant, where Fresh Del Monte stopped production in 2011, instead of via a third party
CEO Dalton Philips said: "Bananas are the most popular fruit in the UK so it makes sense for Morrisons to apply its unique approach to food production to simplify the supply chain, cut out costs and improve quality. Adding this ripening factory to our business means we will be able to mature bananas more precisely to our customers different needs."
Morrisons owns a range of manufacturing sites across the food sector, supplying meat, fish and bakery products to its stores. It has acquired six plants since 2010.
Chris Kilvington, CEO of Global Pacific, said the company was entering into an "exciting partnership".
Sainsbury's share of the UK's grocery market now matches Asda, the country's second-largest retailer, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Europe's food firms slam French origin labels plan
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights