UK: Morrisons pay details published in data theft
Morrisons CEO leading response to "data theft"
Morrisons has confirmed staff payroll details, including bank account data, has been stolen from the UK grocer and published online.
The retailer said it was made aware of a data breach yesterday (13 March). Information from the group's payroll system was published online and sent on a disc to a newspaper, Morrisons revealed.
The company said that the data breach seems to be the result of an internal leak. "Initial investigations suggest that this theft was not the result of an external penetration of our systems." The grocer is working with the cyber crime authorities and police to try and identify the source of the theft.
Morrisons stressed there has been "no loss of customer data" and "no colleague will be left financially disadvantaged" as a result of the breach. The company has brought in experts to advise colleagues and informed UK banks.
"We are urgently reviewing our internal data security measures," Morrisons concluded.
The supermarket group said CEO Dalton Philips is "leading the response to the theft".
The news comes as Morrisons reported it swung into the red last year, racking up an annual loss of GBP176m (US$293.6m). The company has announced plans to overhaul its strategy - boosting its price investment and realigning its margin structure.
Having shed significant share over the last two years of the review period, Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is looking to become more competitive once again. It is facing stiff competition from discounte...
The UK online grocery sector is highly innovative and disruptive - and it provides a template to the rest of the world....
Innovation and evolving consumer palates are driving what little growth there is. More unusual packaged bread types are preventing the category from becoming stale. More sophisticated bread types are ...
Health and convenience continue to provide the biscuit category with vitality. These two features have combined to play a large role in the success of products such as plain breakfast biscuits. This p...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019