UK: Morrisons takes action on plastic bags
Morrisons has set a target to reduce its use of plastic bags by 50m a month.
The UK retailer gave away 10m free reusable bags yesterday (19 May) in a push to get consumers to switch from single use carrier bags.
Branded "Today", the bags are designed to highlight the measures the retailer is taking now instead of promising future changes.
"We believe this new initiative could cut bag use much further - possibly by as much as 50m bags a month - and will help continue to reduce the environmental impact of carrier bags. By giving away these bags today, we can make a real difference for tomorrow," Morrisons group marketing and communications director Angus Maciver said.
Maciver added that Morrisons had also introduced a variety of other measures, including providing cardboard boxes at the checkouts as an alternative.
Despite the GBP50bn (US$88bn) bank rescue package announced this morning (8 October) by the UK government, the crisis in the financial markets is still making its presence felt on the UK high street. ...
As the economic climate deteriorates in the UK, retailers are responding to the increasingly value-conscious concerns of consumers by cutting prices. In answer to a round of price cuts from Asda, Tesc...
Food inflation has started to slow, according to the latest figures from market analysts TNS Worldpanel....
Kellogg is to spend GBP1.1m (US$1.7m) on its Optivita cereal brand in the UK in a bid to gain a greater share of the cholesterol management food category....
Dorset Cereals, the UK cereal maker, has added three new products to its breakfast range....
The Co-operative Group's GBP1.6bn (US$2.74bn) takeover of Somerfield has received approval from the UK's competition....
Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose are losing share of the UK grocery market, according to the latest figures from TNS Worldpanel, as consumer demand for value continues....
Dalepak Foods, the UK food group, has recalled three types of frozen spicy bean burger due to the presence of the toxin lectin in under processed kidney beans....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review