RUSSIA: Moscow shrugs off EU complaint over pork ban
The Russian government has criticised the EU for filing a complaint with the World Trade Organization against Moscow's import ban on EU pigmeat and pigs.
The Russians have imposed the ban following four cases of African Swine Fever (ASF) detected in Lithuania and Poland but the EU claims Moscow's actions are not based on science, as required by WTO rules.
"We are forced to take this matter to the WTO because we have exhausted all diplomatic avenues to try and find a solution, a European Commission trade spokesperson said.
However, Russia refuted that claim, saying the EU had failed to approach officials for the customs union between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, rather focusing its efforts on Moscow.
Alexei Alexeyenko, advisor to Russia's veterinary and phytosanitary control authority, Rosselkhoznadzor, said: "The European Commission's claim is directed against us as a member of the World Trade Organization…it is not inclined to recognise de facto the existence of the customs union and ask the letter to help settle the dispute."
Russia closed its market to the EU at the end of January, cutting off almost 25% of all EU exports. The EU claims there is no scientific basis for Russia's decision and that the ban has exposed the EU farming sector to significant losses.
Synopsis The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global bakery & cereals market during May 2014. ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Sucrerie Couplet SA: Ingredients - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overv...
Synopsis Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global spirits market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the to...
Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global dairy food market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the top-line ...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis