RUSSIA: Moscow shrugs off EU complaint over pork ban
The Russian government has criticised the EU for filing a complaint with the World Trade Organization against Moscow's import ban on EU pigmeat and pigs.
The Russians have imposed the ban following four cases of African Swine Fever (ASF) detected in Lithuania and Poland but the EU claims Moscow's actions are not based on science, as required by WTO rules.
"We are forced to take this matter to the WTO because we have exhausted all diplomatic avenues to try and find a solution, a European Commission trade spokesperson said.
However, Russia refuted that claim, saying the EU had failed to approach officials for the customs union between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan, rather focusing its efforts on Moscow.
Alexei Alexeyenko, advisor to Russia's veterinary and phytosanitary control authority, Rosselkhoznadzor, said: "The European Commission's claim is directed against us as a member of the World Trade Organization…it is not inclined to recognise de facto the existence of the customs union and ask the letter to help settle the dispute."
Russia closed its market to the EU at the end of January, cutting off almost 25% of all EU exports. The EU claims there is no scientific basis for Russia's decision and that the ban has exposed the EU farming sector to significant losses.
The EU has removed its ban on mango imports from India after blocking shipments due to the possible impact pests in the fruit could have had on salad crops in the region....
Synopsis The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global bakery & cereals market during May 2014. ...
The European Commission is developing a database to help food manufacturers identify all EU and national mandatory labelling rules in a simple way, a European Commission said today (11 December)....
Synopsis Canadean's "Sucrerie Couplet SA: Ingredients - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overv...
Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global dairy food market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the top-line ...
Synopsis Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global spirits market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the to...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report